Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Weekly Update

Back in VA . . .

Well - I just spent a week in the relatively "birdfree" Turks and Caicos islands (southern part of Bahamas). I was shocked by the paucity of birds down there - not just number of species, but numbers period! But it was nice to go a week w/o seeing a House Sparrow or Eur. Starling!

Best birds: Bahama Woodstar, Thick-billed Vireo, Bahama Mockingbird, WT Tropicbird, and a Yellow-throated Warbler that kept residence in a palm tree outside my window. I like to see "our" birds in far off lands!

Upon my return, I see that the Ospreys have made great progress at nest building. I think most of the pairs have returned. Plus the black-headed Laughing Gulls have returned. Definitely a sound of early spring to hear them calling. I await swallows & gnatcatchers to complete my early spring. AND the Boat-tailed Grackles are back displaying on our property. Never have been able to find any nests - they must be here though.

As I type this sitting here in my office I hear Purple Martins overhead! Glad I put the houses up this past weekend. Anyone else have new arrivals?

No comments: