Tuesday, March 20, 2007

More News from the Nansemond River

Well - not much to report!

I scanned the river from my kitchen this AM. I counted 11 Ospreys and 8 active nests. There are at least 4 more nests that I cannot see from this vantage point. What a great recovery for these birds. When I was growing up here there probably weren't 5 nests around the Chuckatuck Creek/Nansemond River/Crittenden area.

Another sign of spring would be the first Great Egret from the yard this year. We had a couple on the Christmas Count but this was the first I've seen from the house for the year.

Ducks: Still good numbers of Canvasback, Lesser Scaup, & Ruddy Ducks, although I would estimate that there are only 50% of the ducks that were here at the end of January. Won't be long and the ducks will return north.

No comments: